Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Dublin St. Patrick's Day Festival

We survived the 24th Annual Dublin St. Patrick's Day Festival. Our set up still took us over three hours to complete, but we were more organized than we were in Monterey. It's a madhouse at 6am, at the crack of dawn, with 150 artists trying to set up their booths. Cars are parked in the space we are assigned and there is NOT enough room for the booths and cars and people, but somehow it all works.

Lisa handles the organization of everything and I have no idea how I would do it without her. I am strongly considering nominating her for "Employee o the Month" at J&M Photography. That would give her a half day off once a year and a ribbon.

The rules are that once you unload your gear, you are required to move your car to the designated vendor parking area. Good rule with one small problem: the parking area is just a little east of Nevada. It took me about two weeks to walk back to the booth after moving the car. I saw this as I passed the California state line.

Luckily, I made it close and found my way back to the fair. But, I had two serious questions upon my return: Where is the boy's room, and where the heck is my booth??!! Fortunately, the organizers thought of everything.

I found the booth, continued to help Lisa set it up and finally stepped back to see the results. Not bad, and even some modifications from our last attempt.

I wouldn't exactly say that this was a "fine arts" fair, and there were some interesting artists near us.

Some of the vendors did better than others.... Not sure how this guy did, but we sure envied his easy set-up and take-down.

Look at his inventory and then look at ours....

We actually sold more in Monterey, but had fun in Dublin and learned more about craft fair techniques. Some of the vendors said that they sold very little and blamed the class of people attending. They said that there were just a bunch of beer drinking locals attending who bought only beer. Not sure where they got that idea.

And then, surprisingly soon, the two days are over and we start the take-down process. Two and a half hours later, we were done, home, and exhausted.

And now a special word goes to Mona, Win, Glenn, Ellen, Hippo, Yanni, Lorraine, Lemoyne, Glen, John, Julie, Mrs. H., Mike, and Virginia: THANKS! We loved seeing you guys and it meant a lot to have you there.

No comments: